I'm more than excited about today's Guest Blogger, Carla, the Mommy Muncher of Mini Munchers a fab resource for parents visiting or traveling throughout NYC with little ones. Finding a restaurant that is kid friendly AND tasty in the city can be hard, Mini Munchers is the ideal site to help weed through the millions choices throughout the boroughs and find just the right place.
Eating out in NYC can be an exciting prospect – but when you add a kid (or two or three) it can be QUITE an adventure. MiniMunchers has scoured the City, and discovered some great places to go (that have children’s menus), that both Minis and Adults will enjoy!
1. Smorgas Chef - Get ready to be pleasantly surprised at Smorgas Chef!
This cafe, located in the Scandinavian House in Murray Hill, is simply a wonderful find. Stroller-friendly, with highchairs, this upscale spot challenges children to try some unique Scandinavian dishes (i.e. Swedish Meatballs & Smoked Salmon), but don't worry old faithfuls’ such as chicken fingers and a kid's burger are on their $9 menu.
Each children's meal comes with a drink and vanilla waffle for dessert & my kids were enthralled by the LIVE tree in the center of the restaurant. The restroom is large, with a changing table, but you do have to take an elevator to the basement to get there.
The BONUS of Smorgas Chef is that on Saturday's the Scandinavian House opens their Children's Learning Space to the public (for only $5 per child, ALL DAY!)
2. Brother Jimmy’s BBQ –Ok, Brother Jimmy’s is a bar (but it really does a GREAT lunch business) and who knew that Kids eat FREE, YES FREE with an adult’s entrée – AND the food is good. The menu is also a fun diversion – instead of spelling out the entrée selections – there are pictures for Munchers to guess – like a “chicken” and a “hand” for Chicken Fingers.
3. Ruby Foos –When headed to a show or to check out the scene in Times Square, do not get sucked into a touristy restaurant with sub-par food and over-the-top prices. Ruby Foos is a great restaurant to visit with children, yes they have grilled cheese and hot dogs but more adventurous eaters might want to try the spare ribs or the steamin’ shrimp dumplings (they even have a gluten-free menu!). Kids will also get a kick out of the free Oragami lessons every Sunday from 11:30-4pm, and my son’s roboto loved the “Dirt `n Worms” dessert, a chocolate pudding topped with Oreo cookies and gummy worms inside.
4. Moomah - It really doesn’t get any better then this! Moomah is a great spot to bring your tot in TriBeCa. Not only is the extensive menu local, seasonal AND organic (with dairy-free and gluten-free choices) but kids are encouraged to play while they eat with incredibly beautiful and engrossing (yeah) art projects! The owners have thought of everything, from a changing table with diapers and wipes in the bathroom to a tv “monitor” to watch your child when they play in the “Funky Forest” back room!
5. Blue Smoke – Tots love digging into the RIBS at this Murray Hill joint – and the Wikki sticks and cool communal bathroom sink are fun kid features. A great bonus – the server brings your child a cookie to decorate, which is then baked during your meal – and presented in a “to go” bag with the check. You will be hard-pressed to find a table without a tot on the weekends!
Want to check out these restaurants children’s menus or see reviews on these and many more NYC kid-friendly spots? Visit Mini Munchers. Happy Munching!
I already have my noted places to try when Chunks and I are on the go? Have you found any go to spots to stop in when out with your little one?